Although toilet humour is a popular form of comedy, few people are familiar with some of the more fun and interesting facts about toilets. Whatever you call it – toilet, loo, bog, john we all use it but seldom talk about it.
So to celebrate the usefulness of the good old lavatory, I’ve compiled a list of my top ten favourite amazing toilet facts & figures you might find amusing.
And here’s my top tip: print this out and read at you convenience – ha ha ha!
1. The average person spends three whole years of their life sitting on the toilet.
2. The most common bathroom blunder is falling into the toilet when the seat is left up.
3. The first toilet cubicle in a row is the least occupied and therefore the cleanest.
4. A rat can survive for up to 3 days treading water in the sewage system after being flushed down the toilet and return to the original location the way it came according to Discover magazine.
5. The Roman army didn’t have toilet paper so they used a water soaked sponge on the end of a stick instead.
6. Pomegranates studded with cloves were used as the first attempt at making toilet air-freshner.
7. The first time there were separate male and female toilets were at a posh party in Paris in 1739.
8. King George II died falling off a toilet in 1760.
9. The film ‘Psycho’ was the first movie to show a toilet flushing – the scene caused an inpouring of complaints about indecency.
10. The oldest working toilet that we know of can be seen in Knossos, Greece in a small castle. It’s a flushing toilet that is still functioning about 4000 years after it was built.
Why not share these fun facts with your customers, it could make for some interesting conversations.
Thanks to Sofia @ Bathroom Orgins